Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm just wondering?

As we walk to work there is a little old lady standing in the underpass, she is elderly, its getting quite cold and she stands there with a small cup in her hand hoping that people will put in a few kopecs. She does not say much - just stands there. I don't know for how long. What will the kopecs buy her - they are of less value than our old cents. 10 of them make a ruble and she will need 10 rubles to buy a small bread roll.

I look out my window at work -oneof which overlooks the dumpster and I notice a lady probably in her 50's. She appears well enough dressed. She starts scratching in the dumpster - and finds something that looks a bit like jelly fruit and she moves to the back of the dumpster. She scratches through a few more bags. The care with which she opens the bags suggest she is not used to this - she hold them at arms length. And then she takes a spoon from her pocket and starts to eat from the container she had picked out. She realises its not edible and discards it and heads on her way. I watch her until she fades in the distance.

Today I stand and watch and wonder that God has brought us to this place. What can I do? I don't speak the language. If I feed them today they will be hungry again tomorrow. What is the answer. What should I do? What should our army be doing? How do we respond to such needs in such a great population.

May God give me the wisdom to know what I can do.

No comments: